Dear World ...

Friday, July 23, 2004

Changing my Mind.

A year or two ago, I thought Michael Moore was a cynical, short sighted, 'typical' American. I'd never read any of his books, nor seen any of his movies or tv shows, but found myself disliking him for the way in which he expressed his views. I shared a lot of these views but found Moore rude, offensive and unintelligent, yet wasn't sure how I'd come to feel this way. My only exposure to him had been through the media and what I had heard from friends who had read his books (One of my friends was obsessed with him, and I suppose, due to this my opinion of him had been jaded from the start). Despite not watching Commercial News without a grain of cynicism, and firmly believing that my mind was to be made up for myself, I found myself disliking a person without having ever given them any opportunity to prove themselves otherwise.
I decided then, that in order to continue holding the opinion of him that I did, I really needed to have some basis - to, at least, have read one of his books. I reserved the book, and was put onto a list of around 30 for one of the local library's 3 copies. As time wore on I gradually progressed along the list, and my School Certificate Assesments approached. I forgot about the reservation, and didn't think about my decision until earlier this year, when a copy of the book "Stupid White Men" happened to be leant to me, along with a number of other books, by a family friend.
Reading through his work, I found a much more compassionate person than that which the media, or my own scepticism would have me believe. Moore was witty, intelligent, and passionate, and looked at a wide number of issues concerning current American policy with a matter-of-fact, yet funny style.
I spent 2 hours tonight watching "Bowling for Columbine". I was left feeling powerless, a common response after learning more about situations which seem so complex, and hopeless.
At a time where attacks on Moores new documentary "Fahrenheit 911" continuing from those on the right, I feel a reminder of what they are supposedly fighting for is in order. Freedom & Democracy.
Mr. Moore makes documentary's based on his opinion, and is therefore not restricted by the constraints of objectivity self imposed by many in the documentary making field.

"Fight for freedom", yet attack free speech.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home